Frontiers in Strategy Research
Prof. Dr. Anja Tuschke, Prof. Dr. Tobias Kretschmer
Dr. Anke Schulz, Dr. Benedikt Seigner, Sebastian Geiger
This seminar will be jointly organized with the Institute for Strategy, Technology and Organization (ISTO)
Course Goals and Overview
This course is targeted at Master of Science students with an interest in strategy. It aims to provide them with insights on "hot topics" in strategic management research.
The course is conducted as a guided reading group. That means participants will read academic papers on a group of topics that will form the basis of a discussion in class. Additionally, for each topic a group of students will dig deeper and give a presentation outlining a proposal for a research project.
The course has two goals: First, students will gain an overview of the evolution of several “hot topics" in strategy research. Second, they will learn to critically read academic papers, enabling them to assess causal arguments and the merits of different research designs. We expect the course to be useful as a preparation for a master thesis in the field of strategy.
The course has two central elements:
- Ad-hoc introductions: Short presentations by the students will provide an introduction to each topic (presenters will be drawn by lot). It is therefore essential that all participants read all the assigned papers.
- Detailed presentations: Each group of students will be assigned a topic and will have several weeks to go in detail. In the session they will present a brief overview of existing literature on the topic and identify potential questions for future research (basic ideas!). Guidance on how to develop a research question will be provided by the teaching assistants.
- The course is limited to Master of Science students
- The course will be held as a block seminar in English
- The number of participants is limited
To apply, please send a recent transcript of records and a CV, as well as a short statement about your motivation to Sebastian Geiger (firstname.lastname@example.org). Application deadline 09.10.2022.
|Examination||Student presentations & updated research concepts following presentations (according to PO: Hausarbeit und Referat)|
|Credits||6 ECTS in "Innovation & Digital Business III / IV / VI", "Marketing & Strategy II / III / IV" or "Advanced Elective Topics in Business Administration (Theory) I – IV" (PStO 2018)|
Please note that participation in the Kick-Off implies your binding registration for the seminar. For more information see the homepage of the ISC: http://www.isc.uni-muenchen.de/files/allgemein/verbindliche_seminaranmeldung.pdf
Sebastian Geiger (email@example.com)
Dr. Anke Schulz (firstname.lastname@example.org)